Happy New Year!
Good morning, 2019! What?? Did you make it to midnight? Are you getting ready to watch College Football games all day, or is this Day #1 of the “new you?” working towards health goals? You won’t find any restrictive eating over here at our house, but possibly a recommitment to higher fruit and vegetable intake and less frequent bowls of ice cream. We’ll see…what I do know, however, is that I have 5 major goals for 2019. I’m turning 40 right off the bat here, and all I know is that I’ve never felt more “seize-the-day-ish” than right now.
- Run the Race. First things first. I signed up with some friends from church to run a half marathon just days before my 40th birthday. Something to prove, you ask? Very likely. There was a time when this would be nothing. I’ve ran 4 half’s and 1 full marathon over the years, but lately I’ve taken to low-impact exercise, and there’s a part of me that wonders if I’ll be able to finish. My weekly mileage has been abysmal, so I’ll have to dig deep for this one!
- One Kid at a Time. I shared the post about Adventure Boxes on Facebook a couple weeks ago, and I can’t tell you how excited I am! We made boxes for each kid with pre-planned dates for each month, including gift cards and special notes or instructions. I think Clint and I had just as much fun dreaming up the dates and running around town for corresponding gift cards and brochures. From riding dirt bikes in the desert (with Dad, not me), a trip to Forever 21 and Panera, to a day spent kayaking in nearby coves, we have a year of adventures planned for each kid and I am positive that Adventure Boxes are going to become an annual gift.
- Make New Military Spouse Friends: As part of the leadership for IF:Military, I’ll host monthly meetings for six military spouses, leading a conversation over a meal about life and faith. Connecting with other military spouses who may be feeling alone or like they don’t belong or know anybody at a new duty station is my central mission here.
- Learn to Style my Hair. Honestly? This one I should have mastered decades ago, and I don’t really have an excuse except that maybe I’m lazy. I have curly hair, which people are always telling me is so lucky, but I’ve struggled, OK? Top knots and hats are my friends these days, and I’d love to be able to style it with beachy waves. Clint claims there must be a You Tube video for this, and I’m sure he’s right. Maybe this will be the year I devote a few minutes to finally become competent with a curling iron and round brush.
- Finish the Book. You heard it hear first, friends. While I completed the first draft last summer and bravely shared my words with a few trusted readers, there is much work to do in the editing department! Oh, but it’s happening. It could be months or a year before it’s available, making this definitely a long-term goal. Stay tuned for stories from our early days in the barracks, the one and only military ball we attended and that time we prepared for a cross country move to North Carolina that never happened.
Your turn! What do you have planned in this wide open blank space stretched out before you? Whether grandiose or on a smaller scale, the new year is a fantastic time to evaluate where you’re at and think about where you’re headed.
And if the new year finds you in survival mode, I’ve been there too. Lower the bar and do what you need to do to make it through. Take baby steps until you’ve got your footing again. Your goals will be there when you’re ready.
Wishing you a wonderful 2019!